Re: Sharing CD-ROM's and Floppy's via NetaTalk

Subject: Re: Sharing CD-ROM's and Floppy's via NetaTalk
From: Carsten Neumann (deltor@snafu.de)
Date: Sun Feb 04 2001 - 20:11:26 EST

On Mon, 05 Feb 2001, Philip B. Bechtel wrote:
> Stefan,
>
> I used Supermount to allow the CDs to be mounted. It worked ok for
> most files, but never was satisfactory for Mac executables.
> The reason was that the date/time information that Linux offered to the
> Mac clients, was almost always out-of-order, and the software
> would refuse to work.
>
> Good Luck, and let me know if it works. It was a long time ago, that I
> used netatalk to serve CDs to Macs, I hope the date/time
> information has been corrected, kernel 1.3.
>
> Phil

I think the bigger problem is that your resource fork and finder info will get dropped.
Afpd uses the .AppleDouble dir to store these things, i.e. one extra file per mac file.
An HFS volume (or ISO9660 w/HFS extension) stores these in two separate directories .finderinfo and
.resource, i.e. two extra files per mac file.
They aren't seen by afpd.
So you only have access to the data fork, which is sometimes not enough. ;-)
Or is there an option to mount HFS volumes that they can properly be used via afpd?
Or an option for afpd?

> Stefan Srdic wrote:
>
> > I've recently configured an old Pentium to serve as a Apple file server
> > on a simple peer-peer network. I have been requested by my client to
> > configure the Linux box so that he would be able to mount floppies and
> > CD-ROM drives over the network. How do you accomplish this?
> >
> > So far, the user is able to log into the Linux box and mount his home
> > diretory over the network. How do I give permissions to this user and
> > configure NetaTalk so that he can mount floppies and CD-ROM's?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Stef

Regards

        Carsten