Re: Off Topic DNS problem

Subject: Re: Off Topic DNS problem
From: Basil Hussain (basil.hussain@specialreserve.net)
Date: Fri Jan 19 2001 - 12:50:26 EST

Hi,

> I can't say that I've seen that problem before, but you can modify what
> messages are sent to the console.
>
> Save a backup copy of /etc/syslog.conf and open syslog.conf. Look for
> (probably) the first line that's something like this:
>
> kern.* /dev/console
>
> change it to something like
>
> kern.* /var/log/kernel

Wow, thanks! I've been wanting to find out what settings to modify to do
exactly this for ages! And now your advice to someone else turns up out of
the blue...

This is gonna be a real boon. I've been trying to keep track of kernel-level
networking errors ("Suspect short first fragment" errors, if anyone can tell
me what they mean) on a couple of my servers that I suspect are being
generated by some evil port-scanning technique, but as they only got logged
to the console I miss most of them.

Anyway, thanks again!

Regards,

Basil Hussain (basil.hussain@specialreserve.net)