Re: Off Topic DNS problem

Subject: Re: Off Topic DNS problem
From: Mike Johnson (mikej@lunar.com)
Date: Fri Jan 19 2001 - 12:02:13 EST

Hello,

I can't say that I've seen that problem before, but you can modify what
messages are sent to the console.

Save a backup copy of /etc/syslog.conf and open syslog.conf. Look for
(probably) the first line that's something like this:

kern.* /dev/console

change it to something like

kern.* /var/log/kernel

or wherever you store your log files. If there is anything else in that
file that says /dev/console, you might want to send that info to a text
file, too.

If you still want to get kernel error messages, then add this line.

kern.err /dev/console

I can't say what priority of error the one you are describing is, but
hopefully the .err will filter the less important info. Check out 'man
syslog.conf', too.

- Mike Johnson