Netatalk and Undefined Zones

Subject: Netatalk and Undefined Zones
From: James Hammett (james@che.utexas.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 10:12:14 EST

Originally our ethernet network was segmented into 2 ethertalk zones
(plus several localtalk). This was done using Shiva Fastpaths.
Currently the netatalk server sits on 2 of the ethertalk zones,
though the machine has no configuration information for eth0 or eth1.

We are considering getting rid of the equpment which routes (and
defines) the 2 ethertalk zones. (The really old fastpath(s)). For
various reasons the networking group is unwilling to route Appletalk
between the 2 remaining network subnets. When we do this, what will
the Netatalk box do? Will it simply bridge the trafic between the
ethernet segments? Will it just sit between the 2 networks and not
do anything? Will it create zones called 'eth0' and 'eth1' and route
between them? or will it do something completely unpredicatable?

thanks,
James

ps: If you have any questions, please drop me a note.

James Hammett
ACITS (Academic Computing)                                         CPE 4.468
Chemical Engineering Unix Support                                   471-9701
        An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK jr.