Re: Hidden Files Not Being Copied

Subject: Re: Hidden Files Not Being Copied
From: Basil Hussain (basil.hussain@specialreserve.net)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 10:04:08 EST

Hi all,

> Really, when you think about it, shouldn't Netatalk translate dotfiles
> to "invisible" files on the Mac? Mangle the filename with an underscore
> or something. Just a thought/suggestion.

This has got me thinking.

The above suggestion wouldn't really hold water with any kind of
out-of-the-norm usage, because what if you actually have non-hidden files
who's names start with underscores? The same applies to almost any character
you might think of as well.

However, I just remembered seeing somewhere someone mention something about
sending 'popup' messages to Mac clients using Netatalk - like in a similar
manner to Winpopup on Windows.

Could it not be implemented so, that when a folder duplication or copy
action is perfomed, Netatalk recognises this somehow and checks the contents
of the folder for hidden 'dot' files/directories (other than .AppleDouble,
obviously) and sends a message to the client Mac saying if there are?
Something along the lines of: "The folder you just copied contained <x>
hidden files and <y> hidden directories. If you wanted to copy these too,
you must do it manually.".

Although (as pondered in my previous message), if the file copy actions are
initiated client-side, then this couldn't happen, could it? Or could it?

Anyway, this is just an idea. Any comments?

Regards,

Basil Hussain (basil.hussain@specialreserve.net)