Re: PAPD and LPR...

Subject: Re: PAPD and LPR...
From: andrew morgan (morgan@orst.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 09 2001 - 02:03:42 EST

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Darron Froese wrote:

> I'm trying to set up a print server for the growing number of PC's in our
> all Mac office. The printer is a Xerox Docuprint N32 - I'm running Mandrake
> 7.0 on the print server and cannot upgrade.
>
> After I get it printing from the command line in Linux, I'm going to set up
> Samba to share it for the PC's.
>
> I'm running into a few problems.
>
> /etc/printcap:
>
> laser|lp|Design Black and White:\
> :sd=/var/spool/lpd/designbw:\
> :lp=/dev/null:\
> :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:pw#80:hl:\
> :of=/usr/sbin/ofpap:\
> :if=/usr/sbin/ifpaprev:\
> :tf=/usr/sbin/tfpaprev:

Why not send your jobs to the Xerox using the LPD protocol? I'd be
surprised if this printer only does appletalk printing. Just modify your
printcap to:

laser|lp|Design Black and White:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/designbw:\
        :rm=hostname.of.printer.org:\
        :rp=raw:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:pw#80:hl:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/designbw/filter:

The rm option is the IP address or hostname of the printer. The rp option
specifies the name of a queue on the remote machine, which varies from
printer to printer. On HP printers, the "raw" queue tells the printer
that the job is already formatted for the printer. I'm not sure about my
setting for the if option above. That is what I had in my printcap, but
it may be different on Mandrake 7. You should probably use Mandrake's GUI
tool to create the printer. Just tell it you want to print to a remote
LPD printer.

        Andy