PAPD and LPR...

Subject: PAPD and LPR...
From: Darron Froese (darron@froese.org)
Date: Mon Jan 08 2001 - 23:10:38 EST

I'm trying to set up a print server for the growing number of PC's in our
all Mac office. The printer is a Xerox Docuprint N32 - I'm running Mandrake
7.0 on the print server and cannot upgrade.

After I get it printing from the command line in Linux, I'm going to set up
Samba to share it for the PC's.

I'm running into a few problems.

/etc/printcap:

laser|lp|Design Black and White:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/designbw:\
        :lp=/dev/null:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:pw#80:hl:\
        :of=/usr/sbin/ofpap:\
        :if=/usr/sbin/ifpaprev:\
        :tf=/usr/sbin/tfpaprev:

When I print using this setup, all I get is a large page with:

Username

Filename

Domainname

    Job: filename
    Date: Current date.

All of this is in ASCII art - which is quite nice - but I really want to
print. All I need to be able to print is Postscript (from Windows PC's) and
possibly plain text from Linux.

I can print with pap directly:

[root@gateway /root]# pap -p "Design Black & White":LaserWriter shovel.eps
Trying 65408.130:250 ...
status: idle
status: idle
Connected to Design Black & White:LaserWriter@*.
Connection closed.

I have looked through all of the howto's that I could find. I also found a
couple really good pages with info - but not the right info it seems:

<http://www.giub.unibe.ch/~eugster/appleprint.html>
<http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-1999-04/lw-04-uptime.html>

Anyone got a pointer or tip for me?

Thanks.