Re: NFS and netatalk folder permissions

Subject: Re: NFS and netatalk folder permissions
From: Rich Winkel (rich@math.missouri.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 05 2001 - 12:40:21 EDT

According to Mike Egglestone:
> Are you using /etc/fstab to mount the partition?
> What does your /etc/fstab look like?
> I know nothing about freebsd, so if there is no
> /etc/fstab, then I can't help. :)

Thanks for the reply!
The fstab entry is:
grok:/home/grok /home/grok nfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0

But the permissions of root on the nfs disk are determined by the
/etc/exports file on the server. When root is mapped to "nobody",
everyone's netatalk permissions are messed up. For instance, for
a unix directory,

drwxr-xr-x is mapped to ro,ro,ro under netatalk.
drwxrwxr-x is mapped to ro,rw,ro.
drwxrwxrwx is mapped (correctly) to rw,rw,rw.
drwx--x--x = "?",--,-- (yes, a question mark shows up in the
                         get-info->sharing window)
drwxr-x--x = "?",ro,--
drwxrwx--x = "?",rw,--
d--xrwxrwx = rw,rw,rw

The settings of the suid and sgid bits have no effect on this problem.
Under the owner's unix shell account there is no such problem with
permissions.
When the nfs server's /etc/exports grants root permissions to root
on the nfs client, the problem goes away.

Rich