Re: [Netatalk-devel] new FAQ, pt. 1 (long)

Subject: Re: [Netatalk-devel] new FAQ, pt. 1 (long)
From: Edmund Lam (epl@unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Thu Oct 04 2001 - 21:27:37 EDT

Wow, excellent work Karen (Joe too).

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Karen A Swanberg wrote:

> Three main questions I still have:
>
> Where does netatalk.conf fit into all of this? It seems that it's
> redundant in a lot of ways. Is this a file that is staring to be used like
> smb.conf, it's just not there yet?

netatalk.conf is not like smb.conf at all. Indeed, once the netatalk
binaries start, there is no use for netatalk.conf. Instead, netatalk.conf
is used by the startup init scripts to decide what daemons to start (eg
atalkd, papd, afpd, timelord) and what options to give to them (eg
max_connection_limit). This is because some netatalk options can only be
specified via the command-line (eg max_connection_limit).

To see how netatalk.conf is parsed, look in some (eg SuSE, Red Hat)
netatalk startup scripts. In particular, note that some platforms do not
(by default) use netatalk.conf (eg Tru64, SysV, *BSD).

I dunno about the rest.

> Q: Does netatalk work with Mac OSX?
>
> A: Yes, but only the most recent versions, and it's still being finalized.
> Versions prior to 1.5Pre7 did NOT work with OS X, although some really
> early versions did (netatalk 1.4+asun?).

I've noted some remaining problems with MacOS X with Netatalk on Tru64
(yes I'm using last did and 1.5pre7 and later). Haven't had time to track
it down, but there are some remaining issues.

> A: If you set the noadouble flag in AppleVolumes.default, you won't see
> the .Apple* or .Parent directories on the Mac side. If you use the veto
> files option in Samba, they may be hidden from the windows side as well.

I've had bad experiences with the noadouble option. In particular, one
should make sure that they can still upload/download files with comments
and applications.

> Q: I can't seem to use passwords longer than 8 characters for my netatalk
> accounts. How can I fix that?
>
> Q: I would like to use encrypted passwords to authenticate to the Netatalk
> server. How do I do that?

Another thing is to make sure that the DHX module was loaded correctly.
I'm not sure about the randnum module and what that does.

Cheers

Eddie