Re: Performance problem with multi-user

Subject: Re: Performance problem with multi-user
From: Matthew Keller (kellermg@potsdam.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 21:14:38 EDT

Few things:
        1) 2.4.9 kernel + Ext2fs (which I'm assuming you're using) has some I/O
issues **ESPECIALLY** if you've got quota's enabled. Try disabling
quotas if active. Also, upgrade to 2.4.10 when possible.
        2) Is sda1 your root disk? Performance will always be worse on those
because of other I/O ops related to running the OS (esp if X is running)
        3) Try the same tests using a different protocol (HTTP, SMB) -- If
other servers serve the same concurrency at better rates, or not, it
tells you something. This is comparing apples and oranges (excuse the
pun) but the statistic ratios should be nearly the same.
        4) I hope you're using ASIP to do this transfer and not AppleTalk -- If
not, please do.

--

Matthew Keller Enterprise System Analyst Computing & Technology Services Information Services Division State University of NY at Potsdam Potsdam, NY USA

http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/