Re: Was my question really that stupid?

Subject: Re: Was my question really that stupid?
From: Thomas Kaiser (Thomas.Kaiser@phg-online.de)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 12:16:33 EDT

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001 10:23:24 -0400 (EDT), David L Kindred (Dave) wrote:

> Chad> 1. Researched "uar" and understand what it does, and what
> Chad> your needs are, and how "uar" meets those needs.
>
> Did that. UAR is an AppleTalk router.

It's a bit more than that. It can also be used to tunnel AppleTalk over IP
(UDP is default -- if you pay the shareway fee, you can also use TCP).

Take a look at <http://www.cs.mu.OZ.AU/appletalk/readmes/UAR.README.html>

You may want to use Netatalk to establish AppleTalk seed routing and use UAR
also, because of Netatalk's lack of tunneling (e.g. over a vpn).

> Chad> 2. Research "netatalk" and compare its capabilities to those
> Chad> needs you have and "uar"s meeting of those needs.
>
> Did that, but most of the Netatalk resources focus on File Sharing. I
> was not having mush success with finding routing information. In fact,
> it was unclear to me if Netatalk even WAS an AppleTalk router.

As Danny wrote before: Google is your friend :-)

<http://www.google.com/search?q=netatalk+appletalk+router> points directly
to a good tutorial on <http://www.transit.hanse.de/netatalk/router.html>

The only thing that's missing is netatalks ability to publish zones even
without routing at all (one single interface only configured for atalkd).
For this purpose you need the switch '-router', e.g.

eth0 -router -seed -net 1-1000 -addr 1.142 -zone "faked zone entry"

Regards,

Thomas