Re: problem mounting two servers

Subject: Re: problem mounting two servers
From: Thomas Kaiser (Thomas.Kaiser@phg-online.de)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 16:02:24 EDT

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 15:31:00 -0400 (EDT), charlie wood wrote:

> Apparently, atalkd uses the Unix system's hostid output instead of the real
> IP address (obtainable from the /etc/hosts file) to identify the server.

Hmm ... I think it has _nothing_ to do with atalkd. atalkd provides basic
AppleTalk services (and does not depend on tcp/ip). Your communication
involved the AppleShare Client on mac and afpd on your netatalk server.
                                          ^^^^
You will have your problems even if AppleTalk isn't in use at all
(deactivate atalkd, try to establish the connections via AFP over TCP and
try it again)

The next thing: The hostid is normally read from /etc/hostid.

| If no such file exists, it resolves the host IP address and uses it, but
| not as the typical dotted-quad. Instead, it uses hex in network order.

| IP address 204.178.40.224

| 0xb2cce028

| (explanation courtesy Dick Johnson -- quoted from
| <http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/linux/linux-kernel/2001-11/0510.html>)

I wonder why reassigning entries in the hosts file will have the effect of
different ip addresses for the first network interface in the linux box?

Regards,

Thomas