Re: I can see zones but not shares

Subject: Re: I can see zones but not shares
From: Thomas Kaiser (Thomas.Kaiser@phg-online.de)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 13:37:15 EDT

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 12:47:49 -0400 (EDT), Jeff Harris wrote:

> I found that when both afpd and atalkd are running is the only time
> my share appears on the chooser.

Your server (not the shares) appeares in the chooser, you mean?

Well, atalkd is providing basic AppleTalk Services like NBP (Name Binding
Protocol) and after you startup afpd (and you allow ddp in your afpd.conf)
your server will be registered via NBP as an AppleTalk device of type
"AFPServer". And that's what the chooser extension "AppleShare" will look
for :-)

> When afpd isn't running, I can still reach the atalk server through IP.

Just a typo, isn't it? If afpd isn't running, you won't be able to establish
an afp session with your server. I think, you meant atalkd in this case?

> Ed Maple wrote:
>>
>> Greetings all. Running netatalk on a Sun/Solaris 8 system which is serving as
>> a router. From my Mac sitting behind this router I can see the list of zones
>> in my chooser, but no printers or shares in those zones except in my local
>> zone.

What kind of NIC are you using? Some quad fast enet cards are known to not
implement multicast correctly. AFAIR the resulting effects are like those,
you described.

Regards,

Thomas