Re: Thank you.

Subject: Re: Thank you.
From: Leland Wallace (randall@apple.com)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 18:25:08 EDT

On Wednesday, September 5, 2001, at 02:46 PM, Thomas Kaiser wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Sep 2001 12:41:48 -0700, Seitz, Matt wrote:
>
>> The client then sends an AppleTalk Filing Protocol (AFP) command on
>> AppleTalk
>> to the server, asking for the server's IP address.
>
> Can you explain this a bit please? Using AFP 2.1/2.2, I thought that the
> afp-client sends out a FPGetSrvrInfo request. The afp-server answers a
> lot
> of stuff (its name, the uams it supports, etc. and finally a list of
> connection methods the servers supports).
>
> Each entry in this list will include
>
> - AFP over AppleTalk or TCP
> - address type (ip address + port or FQDN + port or AppleTalk address)
> - the real address depending on the address type above
>
> So the afp server provides _every_ connection method it has been
> configured
> to publish.
Correct.

>> If the server responds with an IP address, then the client
>> establishes a
>> connection to the server using AFP on DSI/TCP/IP.
>
> I thought that this is the afp-clients decision if the afp connection
> can be
> established by more than one method?
yes

> AppleShare clients prior to AFAIR 3.7.4 prefer AFP over AppleTalk (even
> if
> the server says, that it can also 'speak' AFP over TCP). Recent
> versions do
> the opposite. It also depends on whether you hold down the [option] key
> or
> not to force the non-default behaviour.
AppleShare Clients prior to 3.7 could only do AppleTalk
Client 3.7 and later would try to switch to AFP over TCP/IP if the
server supported it.
There was a bit of a problem in the 3.8 & 3.8.1 clients where alias
connections wound
up degrading to AppleTalk (long story)

> If the AppleShare clients wants to connect via AFP over TCP then it
> will try
> to ping the servers ip address before trying to establish a connection
> on
> the afp port. If ICMP is filtered between client and server the client
> will
> never attempt to use AFP over TCP and will instantly try to use AFP over
> AppleTalk (but you can disable the 'Verify IP address' feature using
> Apple's
> 'AppleShare Client Setup' utility)
correct

> If the client can ping the server it will try to connect to the afp
> port on
> that server. It will try this until the default timeout will be reached
> (you
> can edit this value also using Apple's utility) and will do a fallback
> AFP over AppleTalk afterwards.
correct.

>> [...]
>>> OS X 10.0 Connect To Server:
>>
>> Protocols:
>> TCP/IP, Service Location Protocol, Data Stream Interface (DSI),
>> AppleTalk
>> Filing Protocol (AFP)
>
> MacOS X 10.0 speaks AFP 3.0. And this version only supports AFP over
> TCP.
> No support for AppleTalk any longer (please note also: the definition
> of AFP
> has changed --> these days it should be spoken as 'Apple Filing
> Protocol' to
> avoid confusion with 'AppleTalk') ^^^^^
Mac OS X 10.0 speaks AFP 3.0, AFP 2.3, AFP 2.2, and AFP 2.1 all over
TCP/IP
AFP 3.0 is limited to TCP/IP only (255 char unicode names are just too
big for
the AppleTalk packet size).

> MacOS X 10.1 will speak AFP 2.2 too, so connections can be established
> also
> via AppleTalk.

Mac OS X 10.1 will support connections over AppleTalk for AFP 2.3, AFP
2.2,
and AFP 2.1.

> Maybe I'm completely wrong. Any input greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Thomas

Hope this helps
Leland Wallace
AppleShare Client Lead

Leland Wallace Working in AppleShare Engineering
randall@apple.com but not speaking for Apple Computer Inc.
http://www2.inow.com/~randall