Re: That old alias thing again

Subject: Re: That old alias thing again
From: Axel Rose (rose@sj.com)
Date: Sun Aug 26 2001 - 11:40:29 EDT

Hello Lee,

>So for those of us in proffessional prepress netatalk remains just a
>curiosity and not a contender for a file server.

Agreed.
The alias problem is much more important than the OPI functionality
promised for the future. It's a nightmare to watch for corrupted files
and to know that after a restart due to a power failure users start
to complain about all sorts of problems with their documents.

In prepress departments it's quite normal to directly access files on
the server, not copying them to a local hard disk and back, which would
make no problems with aliases.

The next trouble is that you won't see changes in the Finder when
you move files into a shared volume from Unix. Users have to reopen
a folder to see that change. Imagine an automatic restoration from
a tape library. This works under Unix, uses tar and moves the file
into a destination folder.
(call it "that old refresh thing again")

I operate a distiller server papd->lpd->ghostscript->pdf file in a
netatalk shared volume. All the time you got to reopen the destination
volume/folder to find your distilled file.

If on the other hand you just store e.g. PDF/Word/jpeg/html files, share
with PC clients, netatalk is a great tool in my eyes. So please don't
get me wrong. If netatalk evolves commercial providers are enforced
to give better value than they do in the moment under certain aspects.

Best regards,
Axel.

Axel Rose, Springer & Jacoby Digital GmbH & Co. KG, mailto:rose@sj.com
  pub PGP key 1024/A21CB825 E0E4 BC69 E001 96E9  2EFD 86CA 9CA1 AAC5
     "If this be error, and upon me proved, I never writ."