Re: PAPD with HP drivers (PTAL-...)

Subject: Re: PAPD with HP drivers (PTAL-...)
From: Carsten Neumann (deltor@snafu.de)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 08:50:16 EDT

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, pyx pyx wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I succesfully installed an HP officejet G85 USB on my linux redhat 7.1 with
> ghostscript-hpijs-5.50-5.rh7.i386.rpm and hpijs-0.97-1.rh7.i386.rpm and i
> used the footmatic driver made with www.linuxprinting.org LPD engine.
>
> I'm using netatalk-1.5pre6-1rh7.i386.rpm for enabling printing from a Mac
> G3.
>
> I created the printer on the mac and spooling seems to start but on my log i
> find:
> papd[27648]: No such printer: lp
> apd[27648]: printcap problem: lp
>
> I tried many papd.conf types with no success, some examples:
> HP-G85:\
> :pr=|/usr/bin/lpr -Plp:\
> :pd=/etc/atalk/color.ppd:
>
> HP-G85:\
> :pr=|/usr/bin/lpr -Phpg85:\
> :pd=/etc/atalk/color.ppd:
>
> HP-G85:\
> :pr=hpg85:\
> :pd=/etc/atalk/color.ppd:
>
> Can someone please tell me who is invoking this damned lp?
>
> Thaks in advance
> Paul

In your first example you did it yourself.
The second example should work if you have a printer called "hpg85" in your printcap.

Did you change the correct papd.conf? There may a copy from an older installation having a
different path to the netatalk config files than the one you are using now.

I hope you restarted papd after changing papd.conf, e.g. by restarting netatalk that your changes
can take effect!

Kind regards

        Carsten