Re: German Umlauts - resolved

Subject: Re: German Umlauts - resolved
From: Harald Wagener (hwagener@fcb-wilkens.com)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 07:32:51 EDT

Hello all,

thanks to generous and detailed input by folks on-list and off-list,
we have been able to generate a script that recodes file names in
AppleDouble encoding to file names in latin1-encoding.
Special thanks go to Thomas Kaiser, who has helped us a lot.

Attached You will find the script latinize.pl, which will do a basic
conversion, without any checks for overwriting existing files that
bear the new name of the file converted. It went through our 60 Gig
archive in less than 10 minutes. 17.000 files and folders were renamed.

Ah, yes, consider it GPLed, and use on Your own risk. Testing shows that
clients don't do too well if the encoding of an appletalk volume is
changed without restarting the netatalk service.

Regards,
        Harald

--
Harald Wagener      |                                Systemadministrator
FCB/Wilkens GmbH    |                              Tel.:+49-40-2881-1252

latinize.pl