No file permissions on new .AppleDouble files

Subject: No file permissions on new .AppleDouble files
From: Zachary Kotlarek (profplump@engineer.com)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 21:06:43 EDT

'Ello,
    I'm writing in regard to a problem I've had recently with afpd in
1.5pre6 on Linux 2.4.6 (final).

    It serves fine, I can duplicate, delete, and manipulate files on shared
volumes. I can create new folders. However, when I make new files (from an
application or copying to the disk from the Finder) I get various
permissions related errors.

For example, when copying in the Finder:
"The file xxx cannot be copied because it is locked. Stop|Continue"
The file is created on the server, but is empty. The complimentary file is
created in .AppleDouble.
I can manipulate this empty file after it is created however, a permissions
error is returned each time I do. After I dismiss the error the file does
move.

After looking into this for a while, it seems that the file in .AppleDouble
is created with the permissions 000. ls just returns a bunch of dashes for
permissions information. The main file seems to have the proper permissions.
If I chmod the .AppleDouble file to match the main file I can
manipulate/delete it without error.

So my question is: why are the .AppleDouble files being created with no/bad
permissions? How can I fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Zach

--

The Empire's Website: http://TheEmpire.mine.nu/

================================================= The box said "Requires Windows 2000 or better"... so I bought a Macintosh. =================================================