Re: netatalk search volume

Subject: Re: netatalk search volume
From: Thomas Kaiser (Thomas.Kaiser@phg-online.de)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 13:35:33 EDT

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001 05:40:59 -0700 (PDT), jeff@sudjam.com wrote:

[problems caused by displaying the path separator as part of filenames]
> I did remove any string in a filename that had ":hh" a colin with two hex
> characters afterwards. -j

Jeff didn't told us which netatalk version he's using (maybe 1.4-something?)

Assuming netatalks behaviour didn't change with actual versions (can anybody
confirm this please!), I would suggest trying to change netatalks displaying
behaviour in cases where it founds an colon in a filename.

I tried it with Ethershare 2.6 (also with AppleDouble-Encoding, which means
storing undisplayable MacRoman characters as a colon followed by the hex
representation of the char's ASCII value on the UNIX side).

ES maps legal hex values to MacRoman characters, eg. if a UNIX filename
contains ":41" (decimal 65), the macs will se it as "A". If the hex value is
out of range (eg greater than ff) then ES will map the colon to a pipe
symbol ("|" --> es will map the UNIX name ":hh" to "|hh" when viewed from
mac)

This prevents a violation of afp specs and would be a big improvement in
situations where files and folders are created from the UNIX side without
taking care of afp specs (normally you cannot store a file with a colon in
its filename on an afp server from a mac)

If somebody can confirm that Netatalk 1.5pre6 does also display a UNIX file
or folder with ":hh" in its name as ":hh" to an afp client, then it's time
for a feature request on the netatalk-devel list :-)

Regards,

Thomas