Passwords and Network Trash

Subject: Passwords and Network Trash
From: Kris Finkenbinder (redbear@redbearnet.com)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 18:38:14 EDT

I have two questions. First, the info:

Server is running FreeBSD 4.3, Netatalk 1.5pre6 (package downloaded from
FreeBSD ports page)

Clients are iMacs (blue) running MacOS 8.6 with AppleShare Client updated to
3.8.8.

Users all have their own account on the server (i.e. they don't log in as the
same user)

In afpd.conf I have listed uams_dhx.so and uams_dhx_passwd.so, nosavepassword
and the setpassword option. Logging in has worked fine even before updating
the AppleShare Clients, but the clients cannot change their passwords. I've
seen mention that using DHX authentication passwords longer than 8 characters
are supported (just tried it, it works), and a note saying that updating the
AppleShare Client to 3.8.8 will allow the client to update the password via
DHX. After updating, still no go. I had thought that perhaps the user needed
to have a valid shell assigned (rather that /sbin/nologin), but changing it
to /bin/sh didn't help.

So, question one: What am I missing? Is there some other extension I need to
be updating on the iMacs, or something I need to change in the config files
on the server? Is there some preference file on the iMacs that needs to be
trashed so it can properly use the new update?

Question two is about the Network Trash Folder. Apparently I skirted this
issue the first time I set up a Netatalk server because I had everyone log in
as the same user (3 person office) to avoid permissions issues. Thus the
trash worked for everyone. Now, we're doing things "properly" and everyone
has their own account. Thus, as it says on the new Netatalk FAQ site, the
Network Trash Folder works (and is properly invisible) for the first person
who uses it. All subsequent users can see the Network Trash (when it should
be invisible) and cannot use it. I've tried all variations of permissions
including setting the sticky, suid and sgid bits on the Network Trash Folder.
Nothing seemed to help.

So, question two: Does anyone know of a fix for this yet? The faredge
Netatalk FAQ site seems to be down at the moment, so I can't check for
updates there, and I've seen no solutions either here or on the SourceForge
Netatalk forums. Does anyone know if there has been some change?

Thanks all, and have a great day.

--Kris Finkenbinder
redbear at redbearnet dot com