Re: Backup Software Question

Subject: Re: Backup Software Question
From: Danny Sauer (dsauer@teleologic.net)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 10:56:53 EDT

Harald wrote regarding 'Re: Backup Software Question' on Tue, Jul 31 at 03:56:
> Chris Garrigues wrote:
> >
> > > From: Christian Schmidt <ChriSchmiLi@gmx.de>
> > > Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 22:52:13 +0200
>
> [snip]
> > > Well, a backup stored on a HD isn't a real backup IMHO, is it?
[...]
> > How is a backup on a hard disk not a backup?
>
> It's not a _real_ backup. It's a redundant storage with identical points of
> failure. Since hard discs are random access media, they can also be randomly
> deleted. This is harder with tapes that are handled properly, i.e. stored in a
> fire proof water sealed safe off site.
[...]

I'm using an off-site hard drive with rsync over ssh. The most recent
web/mail server backup doubles as a can-be-made-live-immediately redundant
server, should the office lose connectivity for any reason (it's not
normally live, for security). That gets rid of the single point of failure,
and allows the capability to minimize downtime should something bad happen
at the main site. With enough space on the off-site backup server to hold
a yesterday, last week, and week-before-last backup (on seperate physical
drives), it serves our purpose of making restoration as quick as possible
and storage as easy to maintain as possible without having a single point
of failure. Every once in a while, CD-R's are burned with the important
stuff (and stored in a firesafe), just in case something takes out the
backup's town *and* ours without killing everyone in our business too. :)

Just another approach that may give someone an idea, but probably not the
best choice for everyone...

BTW, "mount -o remount,rw /backup;backup.sh /backup;mount -o remount,ro /backup" will prevent random deletion. ;)

--Danny