Reality check on authentication notes

Subject: Reality check on authentication notes
From: Chris Herrmann (chris@faredge.com.au)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 01:43:38 EDT

Hi all,

I've included most of Thomas' notes in the url below. There's a question
still about how authentication works/doesn't work if pam passes
authentication off to an ldap server etc. Anyone got any experience here?

<snip>

> http://gemini.faredge.com.au/netatalk/authentication.html

Well, there is an open issue: integrating authentication against external
services like ldap, smb, etc. as Harald wrote.

| am 30.07.2001 11:45 Uhr schrieb Harald Wagener:
|
| > But You cannot use DHX if authentication is passed to some external
| > mechanism by PAM. And if You put uams_dhx.o in the list of allowable
| > methods, the chooser (appleshare client) will choose that of itīs own,
| > and authentication against the ldap server won't work anymore.
| > Or am I wrong here?

I don't have any spare time to check this out. Maybe somebody asks this on
the Netatalk-devel lists whether there is a way to combine the pam uam with
dhx authentication. This would improve things much.

<unsnip>

Cheers,

Chris