Re: Backup Software Question

Subject: Re: Backup Software Question
From: Chris Garrigues (cwg@deepeddy.com)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 17:40:29 EDT

> From: Rich Lafferty <rich@alcor.concordia.ca>
> Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 17:24:04 -0400
>
> Well, it's not particularly useful for disaster recovery, only for
> recovering from user error, and the usual goal of a backup plan is to
> insure against data loss from both disasters and user error. Disaster
> recovery tends to be the one that's crucial to keeping a business running,
> though, and it's also the trickier one to manage, so it tends to get
> priority, at least in an enterprise setting.

We have a raid array at a co-location point to which we back up incrementals
for our customers.

I can recreate a customer machine on fresh hardware and drive it to his office
faster than he could read the most recent full plus incrementals off of tape.

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                 http://www.DeepEddy.Com/~cwg/
virCIO                          http://www.virCIO.Com

My email address is an experiment in SPAM elimination. For an explanation of what we're doing, see http://www.DeepEddy.Com/tms.html

Nobody ever got fired for buying Microsoft, but they could get fired for relying on Microsoft.