Re: Backup Software Question

Subject: Re: Backup Software Question
From: Matthew Geier (matthew@arts.usyd.edu.au)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 04:57:18 EDT

Mac Conin wrote:

> Hmm,
>
> running netatalk assumes that there is a Macintosh in the network.
> What about retrospect from dantz? I've tried it here and it looks
> good to me. I'm storing to a DAT-Drive at ~150MB/min.

 I have have very negative experiences with Retrospect. It certainly
doesn't scale. My predessor tried to backup 500+ machines with it. It
took more time to manage than its worth. Probably works well in small
workgroups of Macs. I found the windows version pretty well useless.

 We are now moving to using a huge file server. (Which is backed up by
Legato networker)

--
Matthew Geier			matthew@arts.usyd.edu.au
Arts IT Unit			+61 2 9351 4713