Re: Poor netatalk performance

Subject: Re: Poor netatalk performance
From: Thomas Schierle (ts@visual-s.de)
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 01:05:37 EDT

On 01-07-20 20:16 +0200, Lasse Lehtinen wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Thomas Kaiser wrote:
>
>> Then I would suggest to disable AppleTalk on one NIC completely. Try
>>
>> eth1 -phase 2
>
> Jul 20 21:10:48 ssc atalkd[1218]: config for no router
> Jul 20 21:10:49 ssc atalkd[1218]: ready 0/0/0
> Jul 20 21:10:49 ssc atalk: atalkd startup succeeded
> Jul 20 21:11:01 ssc atalk: afpd startup succeeded
> Jul 20 21:11:07 ssc afpd[1243]: Pingviini:AFPServer@* started on
> 65280.166:128 (1.5pre6)
>
> Tested this configuration on my own Linux box, I have no idea how it
> behaves. But the first line caught my attention. Does it mean that there's
> no router on the network but the server will still bring up in Chooser if
> clients have no zone selected? That would be exactly what I wanted.

Yes ...

... but for your server, be prepared to run into trouble again -- if I got
you right, you are planning to configure your server to be an IP router as
well.

I have been struggling with a similar setup myself, Netatalk bound to
primary NIC, IP (routed and NATed) to primary and secondary NICs, both
connected to the same physical network. Primary NIC is internal, secondary
external. Netatalk configured to use the IP number of primary NIC.

Remember, clients logon to the server using AppleTalk, but will change to
IP transport (routed!) after logon. With IP routing enabled, the server will
listen at both NICs for AppleTalk over IP traffic -- my server was always
receiving through secondary and sending through primary NIC, causing wired
problems.

Setting up a firewall at the server (Suse 7.0, Kernel 2.2.16), I managed
to restrict any AppleTalk traffic to the primary NIC, and all problems
vanished.

--
Thomas Schierle, Munich, Germany

PGP key [DSS/DH] 0xA23CDA1D available at various public key servers