OT - Mac network diagnostics?

Subject: OT - Mac network diagnostics?
From: Lance Levsen (l.levsen@printwest.com)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 17:44:19 EDT

Apologies for the off-topic, but one of our RB developers is
having a b*tch of a time getting good performance on an internal
application.

The scenario is:
100baseT network,
Linux PostgreSQL database
Mac RealBasic application connects to the database

Small queries happen fast, Large Macintosh LAN queries take
forever, 6-13 seconds. W2K and an Ultra Sparc clients get
returns of .08 seconds w/ the same query.

The strange thing is that the same query from a remote Mac
client via Internet takes about 1.5 sec.

I've proved (four times now) that it isn't the network hardware,
firewall or cabling that is causing the delay.

What I'd like to do is take the diagnostics to the next step . .
. the iMac. Is there any tool for the Mac that sits in
front/beside/or behind Open Transport that will allow me to
track Ethernet packets on the Mac?

--
Support Intellectual Property.	|	Lance Levsen
Surrender yours to Microsoft.	|	Programmer