Re: Server not appearing in Chooser

Subject: Re: Server not appearing in Chooser
From: Carsten Neumann (deltor@snafu.de)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 10:43:41 EDT

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Desmond Lim wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have 2 questions about netatalk at the moment:
>
> 1) When I open Chooser from a MAC OS 8.5 machine, the Linux server named
> "chino" is not there. I had to type in the IP address of the Linux server to
> get connected. Is there anyway to make the server name appear in the Chooser
> directly?

Have you properly setup netatalk for DDP connections?
I think DDP is still necessary for NBP.
Are the DDP ports in your /etc/services?
What does netatalk write into your /var/log/messages when it starts up?
What does `nbplkup' on your linux-box tell?

> 2) This is the scenerio. For example, I have a share called "Yuppies" on the
> server. When a user connects to the server, the user selects the share
> "Yuppies". But somehow or rather the connection is always made to the home
> directory first even though it is not selected. The user had to reconnect to
> the server and select the share "Yuppies" again before he can successfully
> connect to this share. Is there anyway to connect to the selected share only
> without touching the home directory?

What do you call a "share"?
If you want to make a directory accessible for all users you have to put it into your
AppleVolumes.default.
Then you can select it directly from a volumes list after you've logged in.

> warmest regards,
>
> Desmond Lim
> System Administrator
> http://www.kikuze.com/