Re: netatalk & quark 4.1 sort of solved

Subject: Re: netatalk & quark 4.1 sort of solved
From: Kevin M. Myer (kevin_myer@iu13.k12.pa.us)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 12:58:05 EDT

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Chris Herrmann wrote:

> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/netatalk --mandir=/usr/local/man --sysconfd
> ir=/etc/netatalk \
> --with-config-dir=/etc/netatalk --with-ssl-dir=/usr/local/openssl --enable-t
> imelord \
> --enable-lastdid --enable-dropkludge --with-flock-locks

--with-flock-locks disables byte-locks and enables the old locking style,
which essentially disables locking (it seemed totally broken to me under
Linux). So thats why Quark works - nothing is being locked.

(And it looks like the email I had drafted to send you is still sitting in
my draft folder so here's the gist of it)

Quark with --flock-locks works but byte-locking doesn't.
Byte-locking works with fcntl style locks but Quark doesn't.

If Quark is your only priority, use --with-flock-locks. If byte-locking
is more important, you'll get fcntl locks if you specify no locking scheme
and more than one person won't be open a file read/write at the same time.
For me, Quark users are a minority here so I opted for byte-locking but
your situation may be different.

For anyone searching the archives and finding this listed:

NB the caveats involved with using --with-flock-locks.

Kevin

--
Kevin M. Myer
Systems Administrator