Re: new user can't mount shares

Subject: Re: new user can't mount shares
From: Carsten Neumann (deltor@snafu.de)
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 20:37:41 EDT

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, Gabe Green wrote:
> Please pardon me for asking such a seemingly simple question --
>
> Our principal netatalk admin is out on vacation. What are the proper
> steps for getting netatalk to recognize a new user, besides making the
> appropriate entries in /etc/passwd and /etc/group? I added a new user -
> samba shares the files fine. But netatalk (on our Macs) say "wrong
> password" when I try to mount the specific share. any ideas, anyone? I
> tried restarting atalkd, no luck.
>
> thanks,
> Gabe

In general, restarting only `atalkd' won't help.
When you changed some configurations, you (probably) will need to restart `afpd' also.
`<path-to-your-start-stop-scripts>/atalk restart' should do this.
The real pathname depends on your OS, distribution and version.
But I don't know if this will solve your problem.
Certain older versions of netatalk also had case-sensitivity of user names.
Is your (possible) NIS database up-to-date? (I don't know if netatalk and samba handle this
differently.)
If the problem persists, you have to tell what OS (distribution+version) and netatalk version you
use.

Regards

        Carsten