Re: natalk and Mac OS X

Subject: Re: natalk and Mac OS X
From: Steven Karel (karelsf@brandeis.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 07 2001 - 16:54:26 EDT

Lorenzo Perone wrote:

> I've tried almost all versions of netatalk with OSX
> (and all the tricks like loginmessage, et al)
> and I tell u, the only one which is working reliably both on 9 and X is netatalk1.4b2+asun2.1.4pre37_test + client OSX 10.0.4.
>
> As for server platform, it is working thruout SuSE 6.3, 6.4, 7.0 on Intel and PPC, as well as on LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 on a G3. Haven't tried with kernel 2.4 yet...
>
> u find it here: ftp://ftp.cobaltnet.com/pub/users/asun/testing/
> (to be compiled from source. note: pre39 has the same problems as sourceforge-versions)
>
> The sourceforge versions don't work with OSX (-43 errors all over the place, when u finally manage to log in), and they will continue to do so until there will be enough enthusiasm to solve this problem @ the netatalk project maintainers and developers...

>From my experience:

2.14pre37 works fine with kernel 2.4.x (compiled on background of Redhat 7.0).

2.14pre37 does have some problems with OS X, especially if you copy large numbers of files (1000+) from a server, or on copying smaller number of files to a server. It's far from bulletproof.

The sourceforge 1.5pre7 CVS version does seem to work at least as well as 2.1.4pre37, IF you compile it with:

--with-did=last.

It would probably help the developers for more users to the test the current CVS version of the code. You can get it from:

http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=8642

Here is my message to the netatalk-devel list describing test with the CVS version at sourceforge as of about 2 weeks ago.