Re: test (sort of)

Subject: Re: test (sort of)
From: Jonathan Paisley (jonp@chem.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Jun 24 2001 - 09:51:36 EDT

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Norman Paterson wrote:

> Anyway, now that I have your attention :-) can anyone comment on the real
> question?
>
> >My Linux filesystem has cycles created by symbolic links. When I run Virex
> >to scan the files, it gets stuck in a loop.
> >
> >Is there any easy way for me to detect these cycles before Virex does? Or
> >do I have to write a script myself?
> >
> >Using netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-7, Linux 2.2.14-5.0, Virex 5.9.1.

You could probably patch the afpd source to prevent directory listings
enumerating symlinks whose realpath is a prefix of the path to the link.

Alternatively, just disable listing of symlinks altogether (since it gets
mightily confusing sometimes!). While useful in a unix environment where
you can tell what they are, it's confusing to the mac...

Better still--break the cycle. Perhaps you can re-organise the source
directory structure to resolve the problem?

:)

--
Jonathan Paisley
jonp@chem.gla.ac.uk