Re: Baffled with papd

Subject: Re: Baffled with papd
From: Patrick Gardella (pgardella@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2001 - 07:36:56 EDT

--- Thomas Kaiser <Thomas.Kaiser@phg-online.de> wrote:
> on Sun, 17 Jun 2001 12:56:27 -0700 (PDT), Patrick Gardella wrote:
>
> > My new Lexmark shows up on the Mac just fine, and I have the PPD file from
> > Lexmark. If I print from the Mac to the printer, I see:
> ^^^^^^^
> To the printer? You mean a Netatalk spooler, I think?

Correct.

> > papd [XXXXX] child XXXXX for Lexmark from XXXXX.XXX (Mac's atalk address)
> > papd [XXXXX] child XXXXX done
>
> Okay. At this point the printjob has been accepted and queued locally into
> the lpd spooling system. What does "lpc status" say at this time?

Nothing. "lpc status all" shows nothing.

> > But it never prints anything. Nothing ever gets into lpd. And I've switched
> > the "pr=" line in
> > papd.conf to be both "pr=lp" and "pr=/usr/bin/lpr -Plp" Same thing.
>
> In the latter case there is a missing pipe symbol, isn't it?

Indeed, I mistyped that.

> How is "lp" configured? How look your printcap's entries like?

I don't have it in front of me at the moment (here at work), but I set it up with "apsfilter".

> > Printing from the FreeBSD box (-current) using "lpr" works.
> > Printing from the FreeBSD box using "pap -p Lexmark test.ps" works.
> > Printing to a file on the Mac, dropping it in the shared folder, and printing
> > with both "lpr" and "pap" work.
>
> Maybe a permission problem that prevents papd to communicate with lpd? In
> this case 'pr="|/usr/bin/lpr -Plp"' should help.

I was thinking it was, so I changed the permissions on /var/spool/lpd/lp so it was world
read/write, but that didn't do anything. Neither does piping the command.

Patrick