1.4pre39 - 1.5pre6 not compatible?

Subject: 1.4pre39 - 1.5pre6 not compatible?
From: Jürgen Weltzer (weltzer@werbeagentur-weltzer.de)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 04:35:48 EDT

Hi,
I've a old Linux-Box with 1.4.pre39 (with no maccode-translation) and
a new one with 1.5.pre6 (with macode-translation).

Copying all shared files from the old to the new one I've the
problem, that now all files or directories with German-Umlauts cause
a "could not open because file or directory doesn't exist" when I
want to open them on the new one.

How can I fix it simply? I talk about 10 GB and thousands of files...

(for the alias Problem: on 1.4.pre39 all aliases have worked fine -
now with the 1.5pre6 they are not working - what was in this old
version???)