Re: User authentication

Subject: Re: User authentication
From: Sebastian Rittau (srittau@jroger.in-berlin.de)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2001 - 15:06:34 EDT

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 02:48:59PM -0400, Rich Lafferty wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 07:49:48PM +0200, Olaf Hering (olh@suse.de) wrote:

> > The crypto stuff is somewhat problematic for a distributor...
>
> I'm not familiar enough with German cryptography law to comment on
> whether or not that would be a problem for SuSE. But they distribute
> OpenSSL. I suspect it's just a case of not knowing what options
> netatalk users tend to use.

AFAIK there aren't any problems with German laws. But SuSE also has
a US branch and they probably have the same concerns as the Debian
project, which distributes all SSL stuff in its non-US section. Servers
that carry non-US are all located outside the US. (non-US does not mean
that it's forbidden to use that software in the US or to download it
to the US.)

But then, as jeff pointed out, all major distributions include SSL.
I think, you have to register with the US government somehow if you
want to export crypto stuff. (It's possible to do that by e-mail
and you only have to state the location where you're offering the
software, AFAIK.)

 - Sebastian