Re: sharing a mounted HFS volume

Subject: Re: sharing a mounted HFS volume
From: Matthew Keller (kellermg@potsdam.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 22:26:35 EDT

On 10 Apr 2001 03:00:55 +0200, Carsten Neumann wrote:
> So what you say is "no, it doesn't"!

    *sigh* Flint asked "Is there any possible way to share a volume
    mounted with the Linux implementation of the HFS filesystem?" The
    answer to that question *IS* "Yup works fine". Sure if you want
    resource fork functionality you'll be at a loss (as I mentioned).

> Well function does mean for me having the finderinfo and resource fork
> properly translated

    Aha! So you're judging my statement as wrong because of your
    definition of "function". Well so be it. We can quibble semantics
    all day long.

> For me it would be great to have a feature that I can read HFS CD-ROMs mounted on my Linux
> CD juke-box.
> Sometimes a program to convert between these two representations would suffice.
> Though it will waste disk-space and time.

    Someone posted a kludge to one of these lists eons ago.. I think it
    was linux-atalk@netspace.org, but I can't remember.

> Does anyone know of such a feature or if there is work in progress that netatalk can properly
> handle HFS volumes?

    To my knowledge, there is not such plan within the current
    contributors to the Netatalk source. This functionality DOES exist
    in proprietary extensions of Netatalk used by 3rd parties who don't
    like to share because the current licensing doesn't make them share.

--

Matthew Keller Enterprise System Analyst Computing & Technology Services Information Services Division State University of NY at Potsdam

http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/