Re: setdirowner: chown 16777216/-1

Subject: Re: setdirowner: chown 16777216/-1
From: Alistair Riddell (ali@gwc.org.uk)
Date: Sat Mar 31 2001 - 12:45:58 EST

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Mac Conin wrote:

> by the way : is there a stable system running netatalk with a bundle
> of mac-users hooked up not knowing what linux is? *bg*

Sure, I have hundreds of users running off two netatalk servers. I doubt
if any of them know what Linux is...

running netatalk 1.5pre5 with libatalk/adouble/ad_open.c patched, on a
Slackware linux box, with kernel 2.4.3. hardware is dual PIII 833, 1GB
ram, 10kRPM scsi disks and Acenic gigabit ethernet card.

I also use netatalk to netboot Apple Macs. Whereas Apple recommend (I
think) 20 machines per server using their hardware and MacOS X servre, I
have about 150 machines on a single server with no problems at all. Let me
know if you want to know how to do this...

--
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
IT Support Department, George Watson's College, Edinburgh