Re: Mac OS X and netatalk...

Subject: Re: Mac OS X and netatalk...
From: Marcus Radich (marcus@darena.co.nz)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2001 - 19:09:23 EST

OK, I originally found that asun2.1.3 was wicked for serving quark
dox, but when I updated to 214, I started having file locking
problems with quark (typical). Also seems to happen with
codewarrior(noted by a friend).
So after reading through asun's notes, I found a section which refers
to the "old style" of byte locking. Adding the DEF= line and
recompiling works perfectly. I have over 20 servers in production
proving that!

Go to: ftp://ftp.cobaltnet.com/pub/users/asun/testing/ if you need it.

I'm currently running MacOS X 4L5 (10.0.1), which BTW is quite a bit
snappier than 4K78 (10.0.0), and connecting to these servers shows no
issues. Confirmed and tested!

(Also, for those "Mac OS X is too slow" people. Get 10.0.1 when it
comes out (soon), and get Plus for X. It allows you to change Genie
to scale and other less-CPU-intensive things. Look on versiontracker
for a link to this)

I still use 1.4b2+asun214-37b because it works. I think I will start
experimenting with 1.5 soon.

mrad01

At 12:08 PM -0500 28/3/2001, Steven Karel wrote:
>1. Just wanted to concur with Marcus that netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4-pre37b
>works fine with the appleshare client in OS X 10.0,.whereas the public
>beta failed horribly . Not all versions of netatalk are that well behaved,
>however. I haven't tested exhaustively, but I do know that 37b works on at
>least 4 of our servers (RH 6.2/RH 7.0). Also, the old version 1.4b2-2.1.3
>seems to work as well.
>
>2. Setting -DUSE_FLOCK_LOCKS doesn't seem to be necessary for this
>purpose, although it may help with file locking for other reasons. Marcus,
>if you could be so kind, can you explain for us again what problems it
>solves, and where exactly you recommend setting it? (I added
>-DUSE_FLOCK_LOCKS in the sys/linux/Makefile DEFS= line)
>
>README.ASUN says:
>

> byte locks should now work. if you want to enable the old way
> of doing things, add -DUSE_FLOCK_LOCKS.
>

>thanks,
>
>stevne
>
> On Wed, 28
>Mar 2001, Marcus Radich wrote:
>

>> BTW, netatalk 1.4b2+asun 214 -37b works very well with Mac OS X as
>> long as you add the DEFS= -DFLOCKS thingy to the sys/Linux/Makefile
>> before you compile. I haven't tried 1.5. You can only connect via IP
>> (great!) and transferring files large and small has worked for me
>> since 4K46
>>
>> mrad01

"Always ask the question, never assume the answer." Marcus Radich 1999