Re: [Netatalk-devel] Re: Another reason to go GPL

Subject: Re: [Netatalk-devel] Re: Another reason to go GPL
From: Matthew Keller (kellermg@potsdam.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2001 - 16:41:23 EST

On 2001.03.28 14:58:31 -0500 "Bruce A. Burdick, Jr." wrote:
> My fault. Bad choice of words. I misinterpreted you: I thought you were
> implying that the discussion had raged and ended on devel list.

        No problem - My only statement regarding the lists was that I
didn't want to have to re-state everything we just spent a month or two
discussing on the Netatalk-devel list. ALWAYS happy to hear new comments,
opinions, and engage in productive, rational discussions.

> Your points have been well-taken. And as you are a principal player in
> netatalk's development, you _must_ have much more say than I (a
> gregarious user of netatalk), and _your_ desires must be reflected in
> the license you all choose.

        Let's reword "a principal player" to "hopefully a future principle
player". I have a lot of code I'd like to see in Netatalk - some of it
wholesale stolen from Samba, some of it that I've written previously and
could/have already convinced the money-people that "own" it to allow me to
release if Netatalk GPL's - But I quite honestly have nothing but bugfixes
in the present tree. My time and energies are directed elsewhere at this
time.

> I was also concerned, given the comments of others,
> that the GPL was going to be adopted in Grand Lemming Style (i.e. because
> "everyone else is doing it").

        Yes, I will freely admit that this is always a concern - I have
clients who want to jump in and GPL all of their code and I have to sit
down with them and slow things down: Educate them as to the ramifications,
etc. - We also have Netatalk constituents who want to GPL the code for the
wrong reasons (or no reason at all, other than "getting locking from Samba"
(which is only one of many benefits of GPLing this project).

> I'm glad we agree that this is an important issue.

        As am I! I am working very hard at ensuring that no one gets left
in the dust over any switch we make (unless they are simply too arrogant to
even HAVE GPL'd code/binaries on their system because of irrational distate
- And yes, sadly enough, these people do exist), and also working EQUALLY
hard to make sure that not only do we switch - if we switch - for the
"right reasons", but that everyone understands what they are (whether they
agree with them or not. ;)

--
Matthew Keller
Enterprise System Analyst