Re: Another reason to go GPL

Subject: Re: Another reason to go GPL
From: Bruce A. Burdick, Jr. (bucky@interaccess.com)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2001 - 11:10:51 EST

> From: Jeffry Smith <smith@missioncriticallinux.com>
> Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 09:03:19 -0500
>
> Be aware that GNU/FSF != GPL. Linux is under a GPL license, but the code is
> NOT GNU controlled. Samba is under the GPL, but is NOT GNU controlled. GPL
> does NOT require any loss of copyright control to the FSF, unless you
> specifically grant them the rights (which they require for GNU projects).

While this is true, it's not what prompted my earlier posting. GPL doesn't
require loss of copyright control to the FSF: true. But, once GPL code from
another author is incorporated in a project, a copyright owner who wishes to
exercise any of his ownership rights is obligated to excise the code he
didn't write. This obligation doesn't exist in the BSD license. Each
iteration of a GPL project progressively entangles an author's copyright in
this manner.

Sorry, Matthew, for posting again on this. I'll now drop it, as you asked.

-B...