Re: [Netatalk-devel] Local desktop aliases point to wrong server documents/folders

Subject: Re: [Netatalk-devel] Local desktop aliases point to wrong server documents/folders
From: Kevin M. Myer (kevin_myer@iu13.k12.pa.us)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 16:57:00 EST

Ok, after more testing, I've found the cases where this can easily be
reproduced. If anyone who is using 1.5preX could test this and see if
they can confirm, I'd appreciate it.

1) Open Chooser and login and mount a netatalk volume (note, its important
to use Chooser for this!!)
2) Create two aliases of folders or files on the server on your local
desktop (for my test case, folder one was inside of folder two but I don't
think it matters).
3) Drag the server volume to trash.
4) Reconnect to the server, _without_ using Chooser (i.e. double-click on
your freshly created aliases, or use Recent Server Items or...)
5) Check out both of your aliases - if the problem exists, at least one
and maybe both will point into LaLa land.

It seems that as soon as you don't use Chooser to access a server,
something (be it the AppleShare client or the server) changes some sort of
mapping so that aliases break. I don't know what is done differently when
using the Chooser versus other access methods but this turns out to be the
same problem I encountered before and attributed to the Apple Menu Items
CDEV. Its not the CDEV thats causing the problems, its something else,
since I disabled it totally and the problem still persists.

I have two strace'd logs of two afpd (one with Chooser, one with broken
aliases logged on without Chooser) and I'll look at them tomorrow to see
if that sheds any light on it. In the meantime, if anyone can reproduce
this, then I'll at least know its not something with our local setup -
guess I should try disabling virus software as well just to be on the safe
side.

Kevin

--
Kevin M. Myer