Re: Mac OS X and netatalk...

Subject: Re: Mac OS X and netatalk...
From: Ryan McBeth (ryan@mobiusnm.com)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 13:41:11 EST

        If what I've been hearing, and what I've been experimenting
with is correct, we are all in for a heck of a time. Straight
Appletalk doesn't work anymore. You need an IP address, and then,
you can't connect to Machines lower than OS X, although they can
connect to you.

        Unfortunately, I realized this *after* I put it on my iBook.
I knew I was going to have problems, but losing straight appletalk is
one big problem. Now the only way to transfer files to and from my
PC is through connecting and disconnecting a zip drive.

        Everyone really needs to tread lightly with this new OS.

        Ryan

>I don't know if anybody else has been testing this combo recently. I
>tested with the public beta and had no success copying or moving
>files. Now, it appears to have gone from bad to worse, I cannot even
>connect to the server. It connection "unexpectedly" closed. The
>second time I tried connecting, I had a kernel panic (not me
>personally, though close :-)
>
>Apple still has a way to go to get this up and running, so if you're
>planning on buying public beta 2, don't bother for a while. I hope
>not too many people have invested money in this yet.
>
>BTW - It's still as slow as the PB too, if not slower. All those
>reports you've read on the web are rubbish. I think it's just geeks
>playing with techie things as opposed to using it in the real world.
>
>Cheers,
>Jason.

Ryan McBeth
Systems Administrator, Mobius New Media
Voice: (302) 475-9880 x11
FAX: (302) 475-9894
www.mobiusnm.com
The secret to not getting burned out is to play at
working hard, and not taking things too seriously.
- Linus Torvalds