Re: Multiple Netatalk servers

Subject: Re: Multiple Netatalk servers
From: Basil Hussain (basil.hussain@specialreserve.net)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 09:54:57 EST

Hi,

> I met strange problem.

> When we try to mount Server-B after Server-D already be mounted, Maicntosh
> says that "Server-B is already mounted!". When we try to mount Server-D
> after Server-B already be mounted, Macintosh says "Server-D already
> mounted!". Other combinations has no trouble.

This has been discussed on the list before and a solution was found. In
fact, I suffered from the same problem myself not so long ago. Anyway, I
enclose at the end of this message the solution repeated to me then.

To put it easily, though, all you need to do is change your /etc/hosts file
from this:

127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain
192.168.1.1 yourhost.domain.com yourhost

To this:

192.168.1.1 yourhost.domain.com yourhost
127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain

It needs re-arranging so that the line with the normal IP address
(192.168.1.1 in the example) of your server is the first line and the
loopback address (127.0.0.1) is below.

Regards,

Basil Hussain (basil.hussain@specialreserve.net)

From: "Joe Rhodes" <joe_b_rhodes@hotmail.com>
Subject: Two servers --Solved!!!

      For the sake of someone searching through the archives for
this at a latter date, here's a synopsis of the problem:
      You have two netatalk servers (RedHat Linux Based--Intel or
LinuxPPC) running on the same network. They have different names,
and each show up in the chooser seperately. However, when you log
into one, the client mac sees the other as the same server as the
first one you logged onto--and vice versa.

      Getting both servers to be recognized as different servers
involved getting them to have unique server signatures. As was
pointed out to me, this is directly affected by the value returned by
the hostid command. For instance, my results from hostid were 17f00.
Looking at that, 7f is hex for 127.

      As it turns out, the hostid is based off your server name and
whatever that server name has for an address in /etc/hosts. For
instance, in the file /etc/HOSTNAME my test server is called
LittleLinux. In /etc/hosts I MUST have a line that goes something
like this:
  192.168.0.1 LittleLinux LittleLinux.localdomain

  You can (and probably should, but I don't know, I'm no expert) have
the default line of
  127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain
  in there. As long as the machine can find a match to what it thinks
is the hostname, it will hash that IP address as the hostid, and
consequently, as the Server Signature. By testing, I found it makes
no difference what order the lines appear.

      If you do not have a line that matches, the machine will use
the "localhost" entry. I ended up with two servers both hashing
127.0.0.1 as a hostid.

  The number here does not HAVE to be the correct IP address. (For
instance, on my test machine, I run as a DHCP client, but I just left
that 192.168 address there for grins.) If you do have the correct
address there, then it will be transmitted to your client, and if the
client will support it, it will connect via TCP/IP. (Unless you
specify otherwise in your config file.)

  I need to make sure and give a big THANK YOU to all the people that
helped me figure this one out. It's really cool how quickly you all
responded with suggestions even though I'm sure you're all pretty
busy with your own problems.

  Does anyone know if there is an FAQ-O-Matic that this should go in?
Perhaps a centrally kept FAQ somewhere? Or do we just rely on the
e-mail archive searches for this? (Which is primarily what I've been
using.)

  Thanks again everyone!

  -Joe Rhodes