Illustrator EPS files

Subject: Illustrator EPS files
From: Tom Barrons (tom@byte-productions.com)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 15:13:59 EST

Hi all,

I could use some help. I just built a new fileserver for a mixed
Mac/Windows environment, I'm running netatalk and samba. This is only the
second such install I've done. My first one was a while ago and it's been
running great. I tried replicating the problem on my first install using the
same files, the first one does not have the problem.

First machine I'm running Yellow Dog Linux Champion Server 1.1 with
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3, from an RPM provided with the distrobution. The
new machine having the problem is RedHat 7 also with
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3, this RPM was from RedHat's site. The two machines
are on different networks in different buildings.

This art department, all Macs, use Adobe Illustrator version 9. If a user
tries saving a file directly to the server as an EPS "occasionally" they get
kicked off the server and have to reconnect. They never have this problem
if they save the file locally and then drag copy it over the network, only
if they are saving it from within Illustrator.

I don't see this as being to big of a problem myself but I can't seem to get
them in the habit of doing it this way and not complaining about it. This
didn't used to happen on their old NT server so of course they think the
Linux one is broken and I want to prove otherwise. Everything else on the
Samba/Windows end is working on this new install.

After skimming through archives of this list I suspected the CRLF
translation and I believe I correctly disabled that by adding -nocrlf to
afpd.conf? I restarted netatlk but the problem persists.

Since I didn't compile this myself I also wonder about a difference there,
and how could I check for this? Could this still be something in netatalk
or a config somewhere, or should I be looking elsewhere on the server or the
network?

Thanks for any help.
Tom