Re: netatalk with AuthMan UAM

Subject: Re: netatalk with AuthMan UAM
From: Sam Noble (ns@shadow.org)
Date: Wed Mar 21 2001 - 05:51:32 EST

        I've spent the last few hours integrating the kerberos code from
um0 into the sourceforge-distributed stuff. I've managed to get a litle
bit further with the AuthMan UAM but now I'm having more general Kerberos
problems. We're running a recent Kerberos 5 release from MIT. Hopefully
there's somebody here who can say "oh, you're stupid, you need to do X" or
at least a "you might want to look at Y to track down the problem".

        I realize that there might be a better forum for this problem, but
since I've not *ruled out* netatalk as the troublemaker, I'm going to hope
that there are some kerberos savy people reading this message.

        The most obvious cause of the problem is that the right stuff
isn't in /etc/srvtab (with the krb4 libraries included in the krb5
distribution, can krb4 applications read from krb5 keytab files?) but when
I use ktutil to create a srvtab file from the keytab file on the machine,
I get the following error:

ktutil: wst /etc/srvtab
wst: Improper format of translation database entry while writing srvtab
"/etc/srvtab"

        I'm satisfied that this might be the cause of all my troubles --
but at this point I have no idea how to deal with it. By the way the name
of the afp server is "phebe"

from syslog:

Mar 21 02:09:12 phebe afpd[24445]: krb4_login: KRB4CMD_SESS
Mar 21 02:09:12 phebe afpd[24445]: krb4_login: krb_rd_req( &tkt, rcmd, *,
... ): Can't decode authenticator (krb_rd_req)

(I added &tkt, princ[], inst[], ... to hopefully provide a little more
insight -- it didn't really help)

relavant principles from the KDC:

afpserver/phebe@OURREALM
afpserver@OURREALM (just in case)