Re: App copy problems (-50)

Subject: Re: App copy problems (-50)
From: Bryn Hughes (bhughes@vcc.bc.ca)
Date: Tue Mar 20 2001 - 12:58:45 EST

Whoops, read your first message too fast!

That directory did not exist, and even better, the users don't have write access to the root level, so of course that was it. After creating the .AppleDesktop directory and setting the correct permissions, it worked fine. Thanks!!!

Bryn

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Bryn Hughes wrote:
> The .AppleDouble directory does exist... ug+rwX.

Once more:
I wrote (and meant) ".AppleDesktop".

DESKTOP, _not_ DOUBLE!
TOP OF DESK, not TWICE OF SINGLE! ;-)

Thats the database where the location of Apps and its icons are stored for the Creators of files.

> On another share, the problem seems to have been caused by the .Parent file within .AppleDouble being given execute permissions. Taking those away fixed the problem.
>
> The root level of this share is read-only to everyone, will this matter? The .AppleDouble directory has its own permissions set obviously.
>
> Bryn

> On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Bryn Hughes wrote:
> > I'm having problems copying 'Application' files to my YellowDog Linux 1.2 with netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3.
> >
> > Any time I try to copy an application file I get a -50 error. My logs at that time show the following:
> >
> > Mar 19 10:39:52 ccmf1 afpd[20189]: afp_addicon: Permission denied
> >
> > I own this directory, I have full ownership of the .AppleDouble directory contained within it.
> >
> > What causes this? This also happens on several other areas of the server. All files other than this can be copied no problem!
> >
> > Bryn
>
> Who's the owner / what are the permissions of the ".AppleDesktop" dir (at top of the exported Apple Volum!)?
> Does it exist at all?
>
> Regards
>
> Carsten

Regards, again