Re: Volume mounting at startup with OS9.x

Subject: Re: Volume mounting at startup with OS9.x
From: Walt Reed (walt@mail.terrascope.com.criticalpath.net)
Date: Thu Mar 15 2001 - 20:38:09 EST

>I am using netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4 on my main production redhat 6.2 linux
>box with a 2.2.14 kernel. It has been performing great until recently.
>As more and more of our users upgrade to OS9 we are seeing an increasing
>number of people that are having problems having volumes mount at boot
>time and via aliases.

IMHO you really shouldn't use the "mount server at boot time" option
on a mac, especially on a production machine. if the server goes
down, for _any_ reason, including being replaced, you will have an
office full of macs that may or may not boot, while they frantically
try to mount what's not there, and a crowd of possibly hostile, and
definitely confused users. it can be a real nightmare. i usually
try to get my users to use an alias, or apple menu->recent servers.
the benefits of startup mounting do not outweigh the problems, unless
your users are comfortable with starting with extensions off and
trashing the system folder->servers entries when the machine doesn't
boot, and knowing why they are doing it. that said...

>Currently, one of our shares can't be selected to be mounted at startup,
>when you try to check the box to have it mount at startup, it complains
>about "The command could not be completed because it contains items that
>are in use."

what do your config files look like for this share? is it different
in any way from the others? does this one also share to windows via
samba? how about nfs? one of the things that's different about os9
is that the appletalk (or open transport) changed and became more
tcp/ip native. you'll notice that with os9 (via the "shareways"
extention) you can share files from mac to mac over the internet (not
that you want to be broadcasting your files all over!) or over
different networks, and access volumes that are not on your network
(and therefore not in the chooser) just by typing in the ip, much
like ftp. appleshare ip (and of course, netatalk!) were able to
broadcast like this, but not your regular old mac (without extra
software). what this means is that the old localtalk networks have
been somewhat phased out, and it may be you are running netatalk
without afpd configured correctly. what does your afpd file look
like? do you bind your server to ip's? do you bind your shares to
different ports? mine looks like this:

machine_name -address 192.168.1.10

but i think i would add separate ports if i had as many shares as you
(see below). i think this problem can be solved by tweaking the
configs, so if you would share the relevant parts, i think we could
get somewhere.

>Also, with the same share, if you try to make an alias of it anywhere on
>the mac, it gives the same error as above.

yeah, that's a real problem.

>The other issue is if you create an alias of another paticular share, a
>different one will actually be mounted when you try mounting it via the
>alias. It will mount the same different share every time.

once again, i need to see the appropriate configs on this, and you
may want to bind to different ports.

>We have 18 seperate shares, all shared via netatalk and samba, and these 2
>are the only ones with problems and only with OS 9, 9.0.4 and 9.1.
>Everything functions normally with macOS < OS9. We have looked at all the
>config files and even recreated the AppleVolumes.default file thinking it
>may have gotten some strange cr's or spaces somewhere, but still have the
>same results. We have also tried dumping the System folder/Servers files
>and had no change, and even tried a fresh install of OS9.

are all 18 on the same machine? have you thought about splitting some
of these up on to other linux boxes? it seems a bit excessive,
unless you are counting the users home directories.

>Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
>
>-Aaron Levitt

hope that helps,

walt reed