Postscript errors fro atalk

Subject: Postscript errors fro atalk
From: Richard Goldberg (rickg@yorku.ca)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2001 - 08:52:57 EST

Hi all,

Running netatalk on a solaris 7 macine with a lexmark C710 colour laser
printer.

Quite a few print jobs with colour images fail and give a postscript
error of:
        ERROR: typecheck
        OFFENDING COMMAND: colorimage

If I enable appletalk on the printer and print directly to it, the job
prints fine.

Now to complicate things further... If I select the atalk printer and
select print to file. And then print the resulting postscript file from
the unix command line, it works fine. But if I configure an atalk
printer that just writes the job to a file (does not print it):
        Test Printer:\
        :pr=|cat > /tmp/print:\
        :op=lp:\
        :pd=/etc/atalk/ppd/lexmark_optrac710.ppd:
and print the resulting file from the unix command line, I get the same
postscript error as above.

I found some web pages that say this error could be cases by sending a
postscript level 2 file to a level 1 printer. But the C710 is a level 3
printer, so there should be no problem.

So my first question would be, does anyone have any ideas?

But failing that, could some one explain (or point me to some docs) how
a print jobs gets printed over atalk vs direct to the printer?

I know there is a ppd file on each mac, one on the atalk server, when
does each get used, what do they do, what is different about atalk...

Thanks.

***************************** **************************************
*Rick Goldberg * * *
*Graduate Student * * "I never wanted to be average, *
*Computer Science Dept * * because when you are average you *
*York University * * are just as far from the top as *
*Toronto, Canada * * you are from the bottom." *
*rickg@yorku.ca * * -Stan Cottrell- *
*www.cs.yorku.ca/~rickg * * *
     "If you don't invest very much, the defeat doesn't hurt,
             But winning isn't very exciting."