no version seems to work correctly for me on FreeBSD 4.2

Subject: no version seems to work correctly for me on FreeBSD 4.2
From: Chad Leigh, ObjectWerks, Inc. (chad@objectwerks.com)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 11:41:11 EST

Hi All

I have tried the following versions, and none of them seem to work
correctly, all with different symptoms:

1.4b2+asun2.1.3_1

1.4.99-0.20001108

1.5pre4
1.5pre5

I was able to compile all of them (1.4b2+asun was done using the FreeBSD
port, all the rest from the sourceforge source .tar.gz files) using default
parameters.

In all cases I am logging in as a user (not guest) and the netatalk volumes
are my home directory and another volume I set up with myself as owner
(user I log in as is owner). All versions use exactly the same config
files and AppleVolumes files etc. (with appropriate =/: as needed)

1.4b2+asun2.1.3_1:

With 1.4b2+asun it mostly works but when I try and copy files in or create
new files I get the infamous "You do not have enough access privileges"
error and then it works anyway, for creating a folder say. However,
copying in a folder to the netatalk volume from my Macs (OS 9.0.4) it
creates the folder and then says that it cannot continue because I don't
have enough access privileges and offers a STOP and a CONTINUE button.
Pressing continue does not continue and I get an empty folder. However, If
I open up the folder on the Mac, select-all, and drag the files on top of
the empty folder on the netatalk volume then it copies the files fine, as
long as they are just files, but folders get created but their contents
don't when dragged into the new folder. This happens both for my ~chad
volume and for my other volume. If I open a file for editing using this
version it is fine. The lock file gets created fine and I can edit and
save etc.

Here are the permissions:

~chad:

megumi# ls -al
total 48153
drwxr-xr-x 31 chad staff 2048 Mar 8 09:18 .
drwxr-xr-x 6 root wheel 512 Jan 23 12:45 ..
drwxr-xr-x 5 chad staff 512 Mar 8 09:13 .AppleDesktop
drwxr-xr-x 2 chad staff 2048 Mar 8 09:03 .AppleDouble
drwx------ 5 chad staff 512 Jan 23 12:44 .Trash
drwxr-xr-x 3 chad staff 512 Mar 8 09:03 untitled folder

other volume:

megumi# ls -al
total 20
drwsrws--- 13 chad staff 512 Mar 8 09:18 .
drwxrwx--- 8 root wheel 512 Mar 3 19:11 ..
drwsrws--- 10 chad staff 512 Mar 8 09:19 .AppleDesktop
drwsrws--- 2 chad staff 512 Feb 22 14:45 .AppleDouble
-rw-rw---- 1 chad staff 6148 Feb 22 14:45 :2eDS_Store
drwxrwx--- 3 chad staff 512 Feb 6 21:54 :2eTrashes
drwsrws--- 4 chad staff 512 Mar 3 21:03 Applications
drwsrws--- 6 chad staff 512 Mar 8 09:03 Leigh America Company
drwxrwx--- 4 chad staff 512 Mar 8 09:19 M.Y.O.B. Accounting Plus V8
drwsrws--- 6 chad staff 512 Mar 8 09:01 Network Trash Folder
drwsrws--- 4 chad staff 512 Feb 22 14:47 Shire.Net LLC
drwsrws--- 3 chad staff 512 Jan 6 18:19 TheFindByContentFolder
drwsrws--- 3 chad staff 512 Jan 6 18:20 TheVolumeSettingsFolder
drwxrwx--- 3 chad staff 512 Mar 8 09:14 niftytelnet-1.1-ssh-r3 Folder

The ones I tried to drag in and that were created automagically are the
MYOB and the niftytelnet ones.

I have also tried a +t permission with the same effect.

1.4.99-0.20001108:

With this one I could not get permission to log in as a user. Only guest
showed up. The chooser window flashed for a fraction of a second the
normal log in window for the server and then changed to only allow guest
access. This was using exactly the same configuration and AppleVolumes
files as above.

1.5pre4
1.5pre5

Both of these worked the same way. Again using exactly the same config
files etc as above versions.

Here, trying to create a file gives an error that I don't have enough
permissions but it does NOT create the file, if I remember correctly. I
may not remember correctly, it may create the file and behave similar to
the 1.4b2_asun version. But in this version, if I try and open a file
already on it for writing, it tries to create a lock file and says that it
cannot create the lock file, bad permissions, and fails the open. There
is a lock file left on the disk however.

Any help, comments, or whatever would be greatly appreciated, since I have
tried all sorts of configs, permissions, etc. and nothing seems to work. I
am currently running the 1.4b2+asun version since it is closest to working.

Is 1.5 any faster, btw? 1.4b2, running on a dual P2 266 with 224MB RAM and
FreeBSD 4.2, with 7200rpm Quantum Atlas 2 9gig disks mirrored using CCD,
seems abysmally slow using netatalk. Opening up a file and saving a record
into it takes forever (5-10 seconds where a local file on my 233 imac saves
instantaneously -- I would guess that netatalk volumes may be a little
slower but this is 500-1000% or more slower).

Thanks
Chad