Re: Help PLS, only guest can log in.

Subject: Re: Help PLS, only guest can log in.
From: Marcel Lammerse (lammerse@xs4all.nl)
Date: Wed Mar 07 2001 - 03:53:07 EST

Hello Thomas,

it seems that I have had the exact same (first) problem. I can't explain your
second problem, but here's something that might help you on your way. By the
way, I have a Linux redhat 6.0 system and I'm using MacOS 9.0.4.

If you want to do user-authentication, netatalk needs to support a number of
authentication methods. If you follow the instructions and compile netatalk
with the pam modules and the des library, you can see in /var/log/messages
which authentication methods are supported.

If you use the default configuration files for afpd, these methods are:
cleartext password login, guest login and Diffie-Hellman/CAST-128. None of
these will work, except for guest login.

What will work is if you look in /etc/atalk/uams and you find a randnum or
rand2num file, encrypted random numbers are supported. You will need to
configure this in afpd.conf. Just add it to uamslist. It should read something
(I don't have Linux handy) like this:

"My volume" -transall -uamslist uams_randnum.so ...

If you've done that and you fire up netatalkd again (preferrable with the
supplied script), you should see an additional supported authentication
mechanism (encrypted random numbers).

Then what you need to do, is use the afppasswd command to create a password
file and add your user to it. Something like:

afppasswd -c /etc/atalk/afppasswd
afppasswd -a my-user
[type password twice]

Then you should be able to connect to the share via your macintosh.

If anyone knows a better/more efficient way, I'd love to hear it. If you need
any more help, just shout.

Regards,

Marcel