Re: FreeBSD - Building 1.5pre3...

Subject: Re: FreeBSD - Building 1.5pre3...
From: Hauke Fath (hf@Tangro.DE)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 10:43:28 EST

At 9:40 Uhr -0500 02.03.2001, jeff wrote:

>I don't think the transition to GNU autoconf was silly. It was a way to
>make things a little bit more cross-platform and easier to maintain.

Well, there are two things to keep apart: The use of autoconf, and
setting up the whole configuration so that GNU make must be used.

For 1) I am not up to speed wrt the current netatalk sources, but I
recall that the build on NetBSD/mac68k broke early on a while back,
and I did not get anywhere with the autoconf related pieces. A query
for autoconf pointers/tutorials/whatever information to the
developers' list dropped to the floor, unanswered.

For 2) please correct me if I am wrong, but autoconf does _not_
enforce the use of GNU make. There are a lot of autoconf based
packages out there that do not rely on GNU make extensions to
standard make features. A notable exception is gcc, but netatalk does
not have its complexity.

The emphasis of my mail lay on 2).

        hauke

--
Hauke Fath                        tangro software components GmbH
                                         D-69115 Heidelberg